Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oodles and Oodles of Rindlets

Wow, I've been exhausted lately. This weekend was pretty much a blur. I spent most of each day working on my Tic Tac Toe program. I pulled it apart and fit the pieces back together again. It allowed me to remove several unnecessary files and to reorganize things so that something can drive the game, instead of it driving itself. I feel like it will be easier to add the Qt stuff on top of what I currently have. I'm still trying to solve my command line issues though. I haven't worked out how to do player selection or how the driver will actually run the game.

Rindlets are the reason why I'm still at this point by Tuesday evening. The apprentice assignment this week has been very interesting but it's also a lot of work. There's so much wiring that has to go on to be able to make a stock purchase and then confirm it. There was a problem with confirmations and it was that they didn't exist until this morning. Rylan and I were asked to come in early to help Paul write some of the project code. It's really interesting seeing how people with more experience think about and write tests. I've still got so far to go.

While this morning was interesting, more issues kept cropping up. Necessary information was still missing from commands. When we talked to Paul about this, the response was, "Can you write it?" That was cool, but it felt like a lot of responsibility. It also meant that Rylan and I didn't get very far on our own stock broker today. Thankfully tomorrow seems to be a trial run. Still, I learned how to do a pull request on github. More importantly I learned the embarrassment that comes with not running tests before committing. I still can't believe that we actually submitted a pull request to master before we ran tests. I'm going to chalk that one up to the learning process. It's something that I do not intend to repeat on a shared project.

Anyway, I'm really tired right now. I think it's time for some rest. There's more work to do, but I'm not in a condition to do a good job. At least not right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment