Thursday, February 21, 2013

A New Project

I'm finally finished with Tic-Tac-Toe (even though I know I'm not). The good news is that I'm finished for now. I'll be revisiting this in the future, but for now I'm on to something new. Yesterday I started on my Java Http Server. Most of my time was not spent working on the server though. My first task was to make Rubyslim run on 1.9.3. Then I needed to update the internal test suite for Http Servers to 1.9.3 and make it work with the update to Rubyslim.

The first didn't take nearly as long as I expected. Updating the test suite was more work than I thought. Getting it to run on 1.9.3 and hooking in the new version of Rubyslim didn't take that long, but I had a new problem. The issue was that none of the tests were running. I don't mean that they were failing. I mean that they didn't even attempt to run. I eventually figured out that the configuration for the tests was outdated and managed to centralize and update it. So now instead of each test having its own config, that lives at the suite level. That occupied a good portion of my day.

I'm still trying to figure out where to start with the server. There are a lot of pieces that will need to be built, but aren't necessary now. I was happy that I was able to spike out a quick section of code and got a single test to run and pass in the test suite. The goal tomorrow will be to rebuild that code while writing tests. That's going to take some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment