Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Qt

Yesterday I settled on using Qt to build the gui version of my Tic-Tac-Toe app. There's still some weirdness because all the documentation is written in c++, but that's not really an issue. The problem I'm starting to see is that my app is not really built with a gui in mind. It works just fine as a console application. The game runs and asks for input or prints output whenever it needs to. With the gui, I need a way to "drive" the game. I think I need to be able to say, "Ok, the gui's ready. Now take a turn game. Oh and here's some input because it's a human player's turn." This is conjecture right now because I'm still trying to design the gui and figure out how to make Qt do what I want.

I had intended to spend today working on that, but plans changed. This morning I got pulled into helping prepare for the apprentice class. At first I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but it was actually really interesting. The project is an extension of the last homework in that it still deals with the stock market. Instead of posting prices to a stock exchange, the stocks put their prices into a tuplespace server. The server holds on to these lists of data and hands them out to whoever requests them. The idea is that an arbitrary number of things can all operate in different processes using the data and not get in anyone's way. The really fun part about this is that the project is a sort of competition for which pair can make the most money once the project is due. It's going to be interesting to see all the different strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment