Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 1

My first day at 8th Light was pleasant. After some initial setup, I was given my first task. Write a Tic-Tac-Toe game from scratch using TDD. Not earth-shattering, but still challenging. Thinking in terms of TDD doesn't come naturally right now. Thus progress was slow. I started by building the board and working from the bottom up. After some trouble, my mentor advised me that it might be easier to start from the top and work on making a move. Perhaps a different perspective on the problem will help.

The day ended the same as it began, with a handshake. I learned that everyone is expected to shake hands when they arrive in the morning and leave in the evening. I wasn't sure what to think of this. It seems like a small gesture. Thinking about it now, it marked a distinct beginning and end to the day and set a friendly tone in the office. It will also force me to learn everyone's name, something I should be better at.

No comments:

Post a Comment