Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Overdue

It's been a while since my last post and it feels like I've done a lot of work. My web server now can parse querystrings and has threading. I've almost completed all of cob spec. I feel like I know the test suite pretty well now after going over every section and updating it. Now all of the test configuration lives in one place and it's obvious for apprentices new to the project how to set the necessary paths. Another bonus is that all of the tests live in a single suite. They're subdivided so the the threaded ones don't need to be run if you only want the single threaded tests. All in all, it's an improvement. There's still work to be done though. I need to finish up passing the test that Rylan and I wrote today.

Oh, a note on threading. I've found that more threads don't mean better performance. My server seems to do better using one thread per cpu core than 50 threads. For my current laptop that means 2 threads. I found some code though that lets me detect how many cores the jvm has available. The line is Runtime.getRuntime().availableProcessors(). That way if I run the server on a computer with more cores, I can easily take advantage of that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment